Hey guys! I’m taking a huge detour from my usual painting and decor content today in order to share with you some of my favorite beauty products. Did you know that before I painted full-time, I was a hair stylist for 12 years?! After cosmetology school, I went to work at a busy hair salon in my town for several years before venturing out and opening my own. Ultimately, I closed my salon abruptly when I went into premature labor with our second child. After our lengthy stay in the hospital, (all is fine now, she is a happy and healthy 6 year old, praise you, Jesus!) I went back to work behind the chair from my own home-based salon!
I loved my career as a cosmetologist so much! There was no doubt in my mind that it was my “calling” at the time. However, after having our daughter and going back to work, my heart just wasn’t in that profession as much anymore. I had a passion shift. I’d always loved painting and home decor etc, but I had never truly thought I could make a living out of doing those things. But as more time went by, it became clear to me that no matter how much I loved being a hair stylist and how much I loved my clients, I just couldn’t continue working at that job when my passion had truly shifted to painting and creating.
I share all of that just to say that, while I’m now a painter, there is still a huge part of me who loves all things hair and beauty related! I thought since most of you guys, my readers, are a lot like me and we are multi-passionate, why not share with y’all some of my favorite beauty products! These are things I love and use daily! I hope that maybe you can find something here that you will love as much as I do AND I bet you could cross some Christmas shopping off of your list as well! Also, full disclosure, links are affiliates which means that if you buy something from the links provided, I may receive a small commission from the company at zero cost to you!
My Favorite Beauty Products!
- Matrix Amplify Shampoo & Conditioner Duo– I used these on the backbar for twelve years as they’re a great all-around shampoo and conditioner for most hair types! This is my daily shampoo & conditioner in my shower. My clients always commented they loved the smell and how soft their hair was afterward!
- Schwarzkopf OSIS Mousse– Hands down, the best mousse I’ve ever used!
- Schwarzkopf OSIS Dust It– Have you ever seen or used this product? It’s super cool. It’s a very light weight, fine powder that can give you massive amounts of volume at your root area! Just a tiny dusting can give you sky high results! It’s crazy and I love it.
- Sam Villa Blow Dryer– This blowdryer has been amazing. If you’ll get yourself a professional hair dryer, it will never go out on you! Your hair will dry faster and with less damage!
- Moroccan Oil Treatment– This stuff is so great you guys. If you have frizzy texture, this will be your best friend. I like to apply it to wet/damp hair before blowdrying. I will even apply a very small amount to dry hair before straightening. Keep it off of your root area, only apply to the length.
- CHI Round Brush– Just a good all-around round brush! I know it’s difficult to use a round brush while drying your own hair, but I just use it on my bang area and my crown to achieve some height and control in those areas.
- Smashbox Foundation Primer– After I moisturize my face, I like to apply this foundation primer. It provides a buttery smooth base to apply your foundation. I feel like this does a really great job in concealing large pores too.
- Sam Villa Sleekr Iron– For years I used CHI flat irons, but I got pretty sick and tired of replacing them once a year because they just wouldn’t last! I finally bought this iron and have been super pleased with it! If you’re looking for a great straightening iron, this is my favorite!
- St. Ives Apricot Scrub– Oldie but Goodie! This scrub is so awesome at removing makeup and all the yuck off of your face! Leaves my face feeling so smooth and exfoliated!
- Kenra 25 Hairspray– I’ve used a lot of different sprays in the salon over the years, but I always went back to this one! Not too stiff, but strong enough to hold your style all day! No white flakey or sticky residue either!
- 1 1/4″ Hot Tools Curling Iron– Looking for effortless, beachy waves? I love this iron for my hair. This size is best for medium to long hair. For shorter hair, I’d recommend 3/4″ or 1″ barrel.
- L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara– This has ben my go-to mascara for as long as I’ve been wearing makeup! I like this one with the curved brush which seems to be harder and harder to find in-store! Also, does anyone wear brown mascara still? Anyone? If you do, please don’t! Switch to black and never look back!
- Laura Mercier Bronzer– I like this light bronzer because it’s matte and light! I’m not crazy about orangey bronzer with shimmer!
- Nars Lip Gloss– This shade of lip gloss is called Turkish Delight. It’s the best light pink/nude shade! Not sticky or gummy!
- Beauty Blender Sponge– Y’all, this thing is just the BEST! I’ve always preferred to apply my foundation with a sponge. I run this sponge under water while squeezing it until it’s fully wet, then I squeeze it in a towel until it’s only damp. Then I dab the foundation with the smaller end onto my face until fully blended. Using the sponge damp will sheer down your foundation ever so slightly and will allow it to blend beautifully! This is probably my best tip for a flawless face!
- Brush Set– A good brush set is essential in great makeup application. I use these brushes, but I do hope to continue adding even better quality brushes to my arsenal in the future! Brushes can get pricey! But don’t underestimate the power of a great brush! Just like in painting furniture, they’re essential to a great finished product.
- Urban Decay Naked Basic Palette– Just the best, curated palette of neutral eyeshadow colors. I don’t really experiment with my eyeshadow looks much. I like plain and simple, natural looks personally.
- Este Lauder Double Wear Foundation– I am obsessed with this liquid foundation. I was not born with a great complexion. I have large pores, blotchy coloring, dark under eye circle, more than my fair share of hormonal break outs….I could seriously go on and on. So given my skin, I’ve always preferred a full coverage foundation but of course I don’t want to look like I’m wearing a fake mask! One of my client’s told me about this product years ago and I’ve used it ever since! It seriously gives me a flawless looking complexion. It doesn’t transfer or leave me orange or pink, which is another pet peeve of mine! It lasts and looks great all day. My perfect shade is Ecru:)
- IT Ombre Radiance Blush– Best blush I’ve ever used! It’s so concentrated that a little goes a long way, and that means this compact will last a very long time! The shade Je Ne Sais Quoi is so pretty.
- Clinique Happy Perfume– Yes I’m painfully aware that this shows my age! I wore this perfume all through Jr High and High School in the late 90’s and early 2000’s, but I still love it so much! If continuing to wear the same scent you did in high school is wrong, I don’t wanna be right:)
- Bare Mineral Loose Powder Foundation– Yes, I use this powder foundation over my liquid foundation. I’m sure some of you out there might be cringing! I just really like the full coverage look I get from using these two products together. I promise it still doesn’t look caked on! The good thing about this powder is that, there’s enough coverage that you can totally wear it alone for a much lighter, more sheer look. I will wear this product alone when I’m painting or in the summer when I’m working and know I’ll be sweating!
Ok guys, I’ll conclude it there! Christmas is coming soon, friends! Everything on this list would be a killer gift idea for a lady on your list (and for yourself). Stuff your stocking with these goodies! Don’t forget to pin this so you can refer back to it again! Thanks for coming by, I appreciate you so much! xo